Postgres superuser password issue--update

От Laurel Williams
Тема Postgres superuser password issue--update
Дата
Список pgsql-novice
Hello all,

Well, it turns out that there was a dead password process which refused
to be killed. This seems to have been the source of all the problems. A
reboot was required and then passwd postgres worked fine. Probably what
happened was that when I did Linuxconf first thing (because that was
what was recommended by the current text I was using), this dead process
occurred and screwed up all the other techniques I tried to change the
Postgres password. If I was a savvier Linux user, I would have known to
check the processes. Moral of the story: Linuxconf is a pain in the ....

However, now that I discovered that 6.5.3 does not offer referential
integrity, we have uninstalled 6.5.3 and installed 7.0.3 in its place,
via source code this time. So now we're awaiting a whole new set of
problems!

Cheers,