Re: connecting to postgres server from Access

От Markus Wagner
Тема Re: connecting to postgres server from Access
Дата
Список pgsql-sql
Hi Joel!

>   http://www.postgresql.org/users-lounge/index.html

Ok, my fault...

> > "cannot create index for the selected field"
> >
> > Then the linked table appears in the tables tab in Access. When trying
> > to open it, I get ("Organisation" is the table to be linked):
> >
> > "ODBC error:
> >  error while executing the query
> >  ERROR: Organisation: Permission denied (#1)"
>
> Haven't seen this exact error before.

> Are you sure that you found and turned off BOTH read-only options in the
> ODBC driver configuration? (I'm just wondering if this "can't
> create" error is a strange read-only twist.)

This might be an important hint. In the system ODBC configuration I
found that the connection was configured read-only, two times. I changed
both to not to be read-only. But nothing changed.

Then I found under "Protocol" three alternatives: "6.5/6.4", "6.3",
"6.2". So if this is the pg version then I have a problem, because I am
using pg 7.0.

> Also, you might try to take the error at face value: try to create an
> index on the Org field using psql, and see if you run across any errors.

I also tried that. No changes.

> Slimmer but less featureful is Zeos Database Explorer, available at
>
>   http://www.zeos.dn.ua/eng/index.html
>
> This is basically a GUI version of psql.

I tried it. The command "show tables" lists my tables. But when making a
"SELECT * FROM <sometable>" I get "relation <sometable> does not exist".
Very strange...

> Either of these tools will let you try your query out from the Windows
> box, and will help us figure out whether this is a PG problem, an
> ODBC problem, an Access problem, etc.

Seems to be a pg problem?

Markus