Re: SV: MySQL and PostgreSQL speed compare

От Lamar Owen
Тема Re: SV: MySQL and PostgreSQL speed compare
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Alfred Perlstein wrote:
> Lamar Owen wrote:
> > But, then again, if the default settings are so bad performance-wise,
> > why _are_ they the default anyway?  There should be good reason, of
> > course, but I think maybe the defaults could or should be revisited as
> > to applicability.

> I can understand someone buying a car to get to and from work and
> the movies, but you don't enter a racing contest without tuning
> and knowing a hell of a lot about your vehicle.

You obviously have never seen the hillbillies around here try to
drag-race their factory stock Corvettes and Camaros.  Or the guy who put
a 527 Hemi (yes, they do exist) into his otherwise stock Charger and
kept wondering why the transmission made funny noises, the driveshaft
kept twisting, the differential kept exploding, and the tires kept
wearing out. Saw it.  There are far more shadetree mechanics who
couldn't tune a tuning fork try their hand at building a racecar than
mechanics who actually know the balance of power in the drivetrain --
big engine => big transmission => big driveshaft => big punkin with
lockers or limited slip units => wide wheels with large bead surfaces =>
heavy wide tires with a Z speed rating.  There are many less that
understand that solid iron rod does not make a good heavy duty
driveshaft. Or that understands that a car that performs well on the
dragstrip may not do so well on the closed track length race.

Likewise with self-proclaimed computer tuners.

> I really don't understand why people expect computers to do everything
> for them, the burden of using tools properly belongs to the user.

I of course agree in principle to this statement (and the whole tone of
your reply) -- but, my statement doesn't reflect my opinion -- it
reflects reality.  Facts are stubborn things.

Of course the defaults will never be perfect -- nor will all users RTM.
But, therein lies the utility of 'defaults' benchmarking -- let's see
what the trade offs really are so that we the 'experts' can
intelligently recommend things -- as well as intelligently tweak the
defaults.
--
Lamar Owen
WGCR Internet Radio

Сообщение: Re: SV: MySQL and PostgreSQL speed compare
Сообщение: Re: SV: MySQL and PostgreSQL speed compare