Re: Very slow select

От Stefano Bargioni
Тема Re: Very slow select
Дата
Список pgsql-general
> Stefano Bargioni  writes:
> > SELECT FROM t WHERE a='my string'; works very fast. The same select
> > made on b is very slow (2 or 3 seconds), as if no index exists for
> > column b.
>
> What does EXPLAIN say about the two queries?
>
>                         regards, tom lane

Dear Tom, thanks for your help. Here is the explain results.
As you note, the second select is not index driven. This is why it is slow. Are indexes built correctly / used / when
fieldscontain very large text strings? Can an hash index be useful?
Bye (Merry 2K Xmas!). Stefano

ucc2=> explain select count(*) from document where xtitle='a';
NOTICE:  QUERY PLAN:

Aggregate  (cost=70.61 rows=759 width=4)
  ->  Index Scan using xtitle_index on document  (cost=70.61 rows=759 width=4)

EXPLAIN
ucc2=> explain select count(*) from document where xothertitles='a';
NOTICE:  QUERY PLAN:

Aggregate  (cost=26005.44 rows=287195 width=4)
  ->  Seq Scan on document  (cost=26005.44 rows=287195 width=4)

EXPLAIN
ucc2=> \d document
Table    = document
+----------------------------------+----------------------------------+-------+
|              Field               |              Type                | Length|
+----------------------------------+----------------------------------+-------+
| id                               | int4 not null default nextval('" |     4 |
| title                            | text                             |   var |
| xtitle                           | text                             |   var |
| othertitles                      | text                             |   var |
| xothertitles                     | text                             |   var |
| author                           | text                             |   var |
| xauthor                          | text                             |   var |
| otherauthors                     | text                             |   var |
| xotherauthors                    | text                             |   var |
| subject                          | text                             |   var |
| xsubject                         | text                             |   var |
| publisher                        | text                             |   var |
| xpublisher                       | text                             |   var |
| collection                       | text                             |   var |
| xcollection                      | text                             |   var |
| yearpub                          | int4                             |     4 |
| xyearpub                         | int4                             |     4 |
| locationpub                      | text                             |   var |
| xlocationpub                     | text                             |   var |
| languagecode                     | text                             |   var |
| classification                   | text                             |   var |
| digest                           | text                             |   var |
+----------------------------------+----------------------------------+-------+
Indices:  digest_document_index
          document_id_key
          xauthor_index
          xcollection_index
          xotherauthors_index
          xothertitles_index
          xpublisher_index
          xsubject_index
          xtitle_index

indexes where created with
create index xothertitles_index on document (xothertitles);
create index xtitle_index on document (xtitle);
--
Dott. Stefano Bargioni
Biblioteca della Pontificia Universita' della Santa Croce - Roma