Re:

От John Burski
Тема Re:
Дата
Список pgsql-novice
Just a short note on developing a coding "style".

While "order" is a reserved word in PostgreSQL, that doesn't mean that you
can't use the word for a table name, or, more precisely, part of a table name.

As an example, consider the following:

     CREATE TABLE order_tbl ...

The example embeds the word "order" into the the actual name of the table
"order_tbl".  This accomplishes a couple of things.  First, your table name is
intuitive - it's a table that contains orders.  Second, somewhere down the road
someone, maybe you, may be attempting to modify your code - since you've used
an intuitive "style" it will be easier to read and understand later.

I ran into a similar problem with column name in a table I named
"employee_tbl".  As it happens, "position" is a PostgreSQL reserved word, too.
I finally chose "job_description" as the column name.

Tamsin wrote:

> i would guess that order is a reserved word, as its used in queries like
> select * from customers order by customerid
> so its probably best not to use it as a tablename.
> HTH
> tamsin

John Burski
Chief IT Cook and Bottlewasher