Re: Why vacuum?

От Daniele Orlandi
Тема Re: Why vacuum?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Alfred Perlstein wrote:

> If you're talking about vacuum, you really don't want to do this,

No, I'm not talking about vacuum as it is intended now, it's only a
process that scans tables to find available blocks/tuples. It is
virtually optional, if it doesn't run, the database will behave just
like now.

> what's going to happen is that since you have an exclusive lock on
> the file during your vacuum and no way to do priority lending you
> can deadlock.

No exclusive lock, it's just a reader.

> When your table grows to be very large you'll see what we're talking
> about.

I see this as an optimization issue. If the scanner isn't smart and
loses time scanning areas of the table that have not been emptied, you

Bye!