Re: RI and restoring dumps

От Joel Burton
Тема Re: RI and restoring dumps
Дата
Список pgsql-general
> Has anyone experienced referential integrity (RI) problems while
> restoring data from a dump?  Like, if the dump doesn't restore the
> data in the right order, then primary keys might not be in place
> before the foreign keys are restored.  I want to know this from people
> who have experience before I do use RI!
>
> Actually I did use RI in a database but had complications with it (I
> forget exactly what it was, something like the order of PL/SQL
> procedures and RI triggers firing caused some problems) but removed
> them all and just tried implementing all the checks I wanted in my
> PL/SQL triggers myself.

I never been unable to restore from a dump due to any RI problems.
I don't have a terribly complex db--about 100 tables, about 100 FK
relationships--but during development, it was dumped and restored
about 40 times.

(I have seen a dump that didn't restore having to do w/a VIEW that
output its definition in such a way that it couldn't be reCREATEd,
but, with a little help from a human, could be rewritten.)

--
Joel Burton, Director of Information Systems -*- jburton@scw.org
Support Center of Washington (www.scw.org)