Re: external function proposal for 7.2

От mlw
Тема Re: external function proposal for 7.2
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
<HIGH HORSE>

Let me explain why I think the changes I mentioned are a good thing.

(BTW gateway.mohawksoft.com seems to going to an old IP address that I
haven't had for years, something is strange.)

So, using the IP address, go to this web site. http://216.41.12.226/search.php3

This is a test page, not a production page. I'll leave it up for a few
days barring power outages and other such non-sense.

I have harped about it before, it is a music search system. There is
based on an external daemon which does the full text searching. The
search is completely independent of Postgres, but I use Postgres as the
data source and the presentation system. I use PHP/Apache to interface
with Postgres and display data.

(One added goody about the design is that the text search engine can be
run on a different machine than the Postgres DB, this allows better
scalability with common hardware.)

The code looks like http://216.41.12.226/testmuze.html (please look at
page source, the table strings screw up the page)

It takes three select statements and a temp table, to do what one should
be able to do with a single select statement and good function support.

Please don't get me wrong, I'm not dumping on Postgres at all, but it
would be nice to be able to create this sort of application much easier.
Support for these sorts of constructs will put Postgres in the real
"world class" database category, not just a very strong contender.

It has been suggested that I create a Postgres Index, but that is a lot
of code that many would not be able to justify to use Postgres. If the
function mechanisms were just a little more powerful, this sort of
application would be much easier and more efficient, thus a better
choice.

</HIGH HORSE>

--
http://www.mohawksoft.com