Re: beta testing version (not really anymore ;)

От Hannu Krosing
Тема Re: beta testing version (not really anymore ;)
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
"Martin A. Marques" wrote:

> Has somebody thought about putting PG in the GPL licence instead of the BSD?

It is somewhat difficult to put other peoples code under some different
license.

And AFAIK (IANAL) the old license would still apply too for all the code
that
has been released under it.

> PG inc would still be able to do there money giving support (just like IBM,
> HP and Compaq are doing there share with Linux), without been able to close
> the code.

PG inc would also be able to make money selling dairy products (as they
seem
to employ some smart people and smart peole, if in need, are usually
able to
make the money they need).

But I suspect that the farther away from developing postgres(-related)
products
they have to look for making a living, the worse the results are for
PostgreSQL.

> Only a thought...

You can always license _your_ contributions under whatever license you
choose -
GPL, LGPL,MPL, SCL or even a shrink-wrap, open-the-wrap-before-reading
license
that demands users to forfeit their firstborn child for even looking at
the product.

From what I have read on this list (I guess) it may be unsafe for you
to release something in public domain (in US at least), as you are then
unable to claim yourself not liable for your users' blunders (akin to
leaving a loaded gun on a parkbench)

Hannu