count( distinct x )

От Anthony
Тема count( distinct x )
Дата
Re: count( distinct x )  (Michael Fork <mfork@toledolink.com>)
Re: count( distinct x )  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
Список pgsql-sql
Apologies if this has been asked b4, but got this result when
attemplting to search the archives on the website

Not Found

The requested URL /mhonarc/pgsql-sql/search.cgi was not found on this
server.

Apache/1.3.12 Server at postgresql.rmplc.co.uk Port 80

The problem I have is with this statement:
   select count( distinct area ) from areapostcode where postcode like
'BS1%'

the above statement fails with   ERROR:  parser: parse error at or near "distinct"

I am not the greatest when it comes to SQL, but the pgsql docs implied
that the above would work.

What I am trying to do is get a count of the no of matches from the
statement below   select distinct area from areapostcode where postcode like 'BS1%'

Not the count of:   select area from areapostcode where postcode like 'BS1%'

Can anyone help?

TIA
Bap.