Trouble Converting Dates

От Kate Collins
Тема Trouble Converting Dates
Дата
Список pgsql-sql
Hi

I am running postgres 7.02 on Linux and I am having trouble converting a

character string to a date using the "to_date" function.

For example:

select to_char( to_date( '001112', 'YYMMDD'), 'YYYYMMDD');to_char
----------00001112

In other words it is defaulting to the year 0 (actually year 1 BC, since

there is no year 0) instead of 2000.

Now I run the equivalent select statement on Oracle, and I get:

select to_char( to_date( '001112', 'YYMMDD'), 'YYYYMMDD') from dual;

TO_CHAR(TO_DATE('001112','YYMMDD'),'YYYYMMDD')

20001112

Which is what I expect.

Is "YY" suppose to default to the current century or is this an
Oracle'ism?

I looked in my Postgres documents for a table describing the Date
conversion strings, and could not find one.  Is there a reference some
one can direct me to?

BTW, on postgres, when I try:
select to_char( to_date( '20001112', 'YYYYMMDD'), 'YYYYMMDD');

I get the error:  "ERROR:  Unable to convert timestamp to date"

Thanks,
Kate

Katherine (Kate) L. Collins
Senior Software Engineer/Meteorologist
Weather Services International (WSI Corporation)
4 Federal Street
Billerica, MA 01821
EMAIL:  klcollins@wsicorp.com
PHONE:  (978) 670-5110