Re: pgsql/doc (FAQ_MSWIN INSTALL_MSWIN)

От Thomas Lockhart
Тема Re: pgsql/doc (FAQ_MSWIN INSTALL_MSWIN)
Дата
Список pgsql-committers
> > > Currently all our platform-specific files are FAQ's.  I can imagine
> > > someone realizing that, looking for an MS one, and giving up and never
> > > seeing INSTALL_MSWIN.  Also, the platform-specific stuff is on the web
> > > pages under FAQ.  I don't want to make a separate section just for the
> > > MS OS.
> > Okay, that's somewhat reasonable.  Only that the INSTALL file directs
> > people to read INSTALL_WIN, so you need to change that, too.  (Actually,
> > it's in installation.sgml.)
> The bottom line is that I am slightly embarrassed to be supporting a
> Microsoft OS, and want to give it as little special treatment as
> possible.

Hmm. It is a fact that M$Windows is not quite the same as *any* of the
other boxes we support. Lots of us prefer running on a real system, but
there is no need to actively obfuscate our support for the unpleasant
alternative.

We currently have a section in the printed/html docs covering installing
on M$ for client-side libraries, and we should move the installation
instructions for the server into these docs also. If others are willing
to do the work to support it, we can make sure it has a place in the
distro imho.

It doesn't mean that we can't have a bit of individual joy when M$ moves
to our "unsupported, because we haven't heard that anyone is running it
anymore" list ;)

                       - Thomas