Re: INHERITS doesn't offer enough functionality

От Chris
Тема Re: INHERITS doesn't offer enough functionality
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
It's pretty clear to me that an inherited index should be only one
index. There may be a case for optional non-inherited indexes (CREATE
INDEX ON ONLY foobar), but if the index is inherited, it is just one

At the end of the day though, the reason is only performance. The
semantics should be the same no matter whether implemented as multiple
indexes or not. Performance is much better with one index though.(*)

(*) Assuming you use inheritance in the queries, which I have found is
the most common thing. That's reflected in the 7.1 defaults where
inheritance is the default.

--
Chris Bitmead
mailto:chris@bitmead.com