Re: Variable-length Types

От KuroiNeko
Тема Re: Variable-length Types
Дата
Список pgsql-sql
Josh,

> Thanks. You're probably right ... reformatting the phone numbers is
> going to be a lot less work than a custom type.
I remember from  the old days of Delphi/InterBase, and  even older days of
Paradox, there were so called input masks, US phone code mask would be like

(999)_000-00-00
or  something like  that (no  default values)  Borland has  released their
Turbo stuff for public domain, so it might be worth looking at.Implementing a  generic picture functions  (as in PL/I)
would probably be

easier and  cover more cases.  However, watch your back  with user-supplied
format strings, there's a plenty of ruined lives at BugTraq :)I'm just not sure what to do if 8 or 9 digits are
supplied?Maybe, reject,

assuming that  such things should  be caught  by UI, and  if we get  such a
weird thing, there's something really really wrong?

--
Well I tried to be meek And I have tried to be mildBut I spat like a woman And I sulked like a childI have lived behind
thewalls That have made me aloneStriven for peace Which I never have known

Dire Straits, Brothers In Arms, The Man's Too Strong (Knopfler)