Re: Remove last traces of HPPA support

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Remove last traces of HPPA support
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
I wrote:
> Noah Misch <noah@leadboat.com> writes:
>> On Thu, Oct 19, 2023 at 11:16:28AM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
>>> Hence, the attached removes the remaining support for HPPA.

>> I wouldn't do this.  NetBSD/hppa still claims to exist, as does the OpenBSD
>> equivalent.  I presume its pkgsrc compiles this code.  The code is basically
>> zero-maintenance, so there's not much to gain from deleting it preemptively.

> I doubt it: I don't think anyone is routinely building very much of
> pkgsrc for backwater hardware like HPPA, on either distro.

I dug a bit further on this point.  The previous discussion about
our policy for old-hardware support was here:

https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/959917.1657522169%40sss.pgh.pa.us#47f7af4817dc8dc0d8901d1ee965971e

The existence of a NetBSD/sh3el package for Postgres didn't stop
us from dropping SuperH support.  Moreover, the page showing the
existence of that package:

https://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/pkgsrc/current/pkgsrc/databases/postgresql14-server/index.html

also shows a build for VAX, which we know positively would not
have passed regression tests, so they certainly weren't testing
those builds.  (And, to the point here, it does *not* show any
build for hppa.)

The bottom line, though, is that IMV we agreed in that thread to a
policy that no architecture will be considered supported unless
it has a representative in the buildfarm.  We've since enforced
that policy in the case of loongarch64, so it seems established.
With my HPPA animal gone, and nobody very likely to step up with
a replacement, HPPA no longer meets that threshold requirement.