Re: Slashdot discussion

От J.R. Belding
Тема Re: Slashdot discussion
Дата
Re: Slashdot discussion  (The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@hub.org>)
Список pgsql-general
PostgreSQL:

Early on, it was quite a bit easier to find resources on the Internet
pertaining to MySQL.  PostgreSQL info is out there, but I had to look a
bit further to find it.  #mysql has much more activity than does
#postgresql, and since I prefer this method of communication over
mailing-lists, I found this to be very much in MySQL's favor.

The MySQL installation was somewhat more straightforward, but I didn't
find the PostgreSQL installation to be terribly intimidating.

I found MySQL to be significantly easier to use, however, once I started
experimenting with basic functionality.  Most tasks in MySQL were
straightforward, so I was surprised to find that the same tasks in
PostgreSQL required much more effort (for example dropping a column, or
changing a column's data type).  Further, I ran across a web-based
administrative program called WebMin that has a MySQL module. For a
novice user like myself, this kind of GUI simplifies things tremendously
and has really made working with MySQL much more pleasant in comparison.

As I learned more about the advanced features PostgreSQL offered, I
became concerned that MySQL might not be desirable for my application.
But I shortly realized that while PostgreSQL includes support for
advanced functionality such as Transactions, Subselects, Views, etc.,
it's not likely that I'll have the skills to take advantage of these
features for quite some time.  And since it seems reasonable to expect
that MySQL will add many of these features in the near future, it makes
sense for me to go with MySQL for my application.

Of course, I reserve the right to change my mind. :-)