Re: Slashdot discussion

От Ed Loehr
Тема Re: Slashdot discussion
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Peter Eisentraut wrote:

> I've studied the MySQL installation instructions, and they don't strike me
> as inherently simpler. Is it only perception, or what can we do better?

Good question.  My 2 cents...

1)  The RPM-installed binaries that come with RH 6.0/6.1 can easily and
stealthly interfere with a src.tar.gz installation due to $PATH settings
(accidentally drawing on /bin/p* instead of /opt/pgsql/bin/p* ...  Adding
detection to setup/install scripts might mitigate that.

2)  Write an install wizard script that figures everything out for the
user based on questions/prompts.

Regards,
Ed Loehr