Re: Make documentation builds reproducible

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Make documentation builds reproducible
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
"Tristan Partin" <tristan@neon.tech> writes:
> On Wed Aug 23, 2023 at 2:24 PM CDT, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
>> Somewhere at PGCon, I forgot exactly where, maybe in the same meeting
>> where we talked about getting rid of distprep, we talked about that the
>> documentation builds are not reproducible (in the sense of
>> https://reproducible-builds.org/).  This is easily fixable,

> Is there anything I am missing? Is Postgres relying on releases older
> than snapshot-2018-12-07-01? If so, is it possible to up the minimum
> version?

AFAICT the "latest stable release" of docbook-xsl is still 1.79.2,
which seems to have been released in 2017, so it's unsurprising that
it's missing this fix.

It's kind of hard to argue that developers (much less distro packagers)
should install unsupported snapshot releases in order to build our docs.
Having said that, maybe we should check whether this patch is compatible
with those snapshot releases, just in case somebody is using one.