Re: infinity interval

От Richard Broersma
Тема Re: infinity interval
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Sat, Dec 20, 2008 at 3:52 PM, Gerhard Heift
<ml-postgresql-20081012-3518@gheift.de> wrote:

> how can I store an infinity value into an interval?

I don't think you can:

postgres=# select INTERVAL '1 week' + 'infinity'::timestamp;
 ?column?
----------
 infinity
(1 row)

postgres=# select INTERVAL 'infinity' + now();
ERROR:  invalid input syntax for type interval: "infinity"

Also notice the limits that the Interval datatype supports.
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.3/interactive/datatype-datetime.html

> I want to store
> offsets to a timestamp, and for some cases i need +infinity and
> -infinity as result.

You might need to rethink your design to two timestamps, or use a null
represent to concept of infinite duration since postgresql doesn't
currently support this.

--
Regards,
Richard Broersma Jr.