Re: responses to licensing discussion

От Chris Bitmead
Тема Re: responses to licensing discussion
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Philip Warner wrote:

> There might be a technical solution here; I *think* RPM allows pretty
> flexible running of scripts. We could only make binary distributions for
> architectures that support RPM.
>
> We could also pop up a message on 'initdb', or the first time the
> postmaster is started etc etc.
>
> We might even want to be really paranoid, and warn each user when they
> first go into psql...I provide WWW services, and part of that service is
> access to PG. My agreements always limit my liabilities, but these users
> never see the BSD waiver of PG...

Then what happens if I fork the project and remove all these printf's
from the code?

Read the GPL and LGPL - they have thought of these issues. It just shows
you can't "fix" the BSD licence with a couple of quick-fix add-ons. I
propose the exclusion clause in COPYRIGHT be widened to include everyone
in the universe and leave it at that. In reality it's the only change
that is going to get up.