Re: Full-text searching and/or word indexing

От Andrew McMillan
Тема Re: Full-text searching and/or word indexing
Дата
Список pgsql-novice
Thomas Weholt wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I want to use full text searching on my PostgreSQL 7.0.2 database. Ok, to be
> exact I want to somehow be able to type the word
> alien and get a record set containing "Alien", "Alien 3" and "Alien
> Resurection". ( "Aliens" could should also be returned but that would
> probably take more time, so I`ll go with plain hits to begin with. )
>
> How can this be done? If it`s not possible using just PostgreSQL, what is
> the best tool for the job? ( I`m using Python and Zope for the rest of the
> project, so if anybody has solutions using these tools that would be
> perfect. )

There is some full-text indexing stuff in contrib.  It depends on the
size of your database though, and other things.  If you also wanted your
query to match on 'I, Alien' or 'Inalienable Rights' then you need full
text, but just regular expression or LIKE would also work on a smallish
database.

For performance with more than a few thousand records you'll want to use
the full-text index stuff.

Cheers,
                    Andrew.
            Andrew McMillan, e-mail: Andrew@cat-it.co.nz
Catalyst IT Ltd, PO Box 10-225, Level 22, 105 The Terrace, Wellington
Me: +64 (21) 635 694, Fax: +64 (4) 499 5596, Office: +64 (4) 499 2267