Re: Big 7.1 open items

От Thomas Lockhart
Тема Re: Big 7.1 open items
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> Sorry, disagree.  Environment variables are a pain to administer, and
> quite counter-intuitive.

Well, I guess we disagree. But until we have a complete proposed
solution, we should leave environment variables on the table, since they
*do* allow some decoupling of logical and physical storage, and *do*
give the administrator some control over resources *that the admin would
not otherwise have*.

> > istm that from a portability and evolutionary standpoint OID-only
> > file names (or at least file names *not* based on relation/class
> > names) is a requirement.
> Maybe a requirement at some point for some installations, but I hope
> not a general requirement.

If a table name can have characters which are not legal for file names,
then how would you propose to support it? If we are doing a
restructuring of the storage scheme, this should be taken into account.

lockhart=# create table "one/two" (i int);
ERROR:  cannot create one/two

Why not? It demonstrates an unfortunate linkage between file systems and
database resources.
                    - Thomas