Re: Big 7.1 open items

От Thomas Lockhart
Тема Re: Big 7.1 open items
Дата
Re: Big 7.1 open items  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
Список pgsql-hackers
> Yes, I didn't like the environment variable stuff.  In fact, I would
> like to not mention the symlink location anywhere in the database, so
> it can be changed without changing it in the database.

Well, as y'all have noticed, I think there are strong reasons to use
environment variables to manage locations, and that symlinks are a
potential portability and robustness problem.

An additional point which has relevance to this whole discussion:

In the future we may allow system resource such as tables to carry names
which use multi-byte encodings. afaik these encodings are not allowed to
be used for physical file names, and even if they were the utility of
using standard operating system utilities like ls goes way down.

istm that from a portability and evolutionary standpoint OID-only file
names (or at least file names *not* based on relation/class names) is a
requirement.

Comments?
                  - Thomas