Re: [GENERAL] NOTIFY/LISTEN in pgsql 7.0

От Ed Loehr
Тема Re: [GENERAL] NOTIFY/LISTEN in pgsql 7.0
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote:

> Ed Loehr <eloehr@austin.rr.com> writes:
> > Is anyone successfully using the NOTIFY/LISTEN mechanism in pgsql 7.0?
>
> It still works AFAICT.  Why, are you seeing a problem?

No.  I just hadn't recalled any discussion of it in 6 months and wondered
if it was "bit-rotting".  The context was a discussion on pgsql-sql re
how to enable table-based caching of results in a modperl/DBI app.  More
specifically, use of NOTIFY/LISTEN to alert the apps when a table had
been changed in order to invalidate cached results dependent on that
table.  After a closer look, I'm wondering how it would fit (if at all)
with the mod_perl/DBI API/model.  [BTW, I still haven't heard anything to
dissuade me from thinking that server-side shared-mem result-set caching
would be a huge performance win for many, many apps, including mine.  I
wish I better understood the lack of enthusiasm for that idea...]

Regards,
Ed Loehr