Re: config files in /data

От Lamar Owen
Тема Re: config files in /data
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Lamar Owen writes:
> > config or etc, perhaps?  But, make the location configuratable (so that
> > the RPM's can finally do away with config data in /var, and put it in
> > /etc/pgsql, where it belongs in the RPM distribution.
> The Linux FHS or GNU standards or whatever are really only good for
> programs that act on one piece of data per system. But you can run many
> postmasters per system so you can't fix the location of the configuration
> files independently of that of the data.

Yes, you can.  If it is important enough to do it, I'll build the RPM's
with ease of multiple postmasters in mind.  With that, I can go with a
tree such as:
/etc/pgsql/$name_1/*
/var/lib/pgsql/$name_1/data
/etc/pgsql/$name_2/*
/var/lib/pgsql/$name_1/data
etc.

In /etc/pgsql/$name_[12], I'd have a few files:
configuration
pg_hba.conf

I haven't looked at your new configuration file as yet, but I am very
interested.

Then, the initscript would iterate over the /etc/pgsql/$name_
directories, and start a postmaster for each.

This, incidentally, is planned for 7.1, as I don't want to mess with
people's minds too much with too many changes inside the 7.0.x series.

I would also have a couple of RPM-specific commands: createdbhost and
dropdbhost (or some other, yet-to-be-determined program names) that
would create and drop the extra postmaster configs and data dirs.

I could even, for backwards compatibility, support an un-named
postmaster that would feed from /etc/pgsql and /var/lib/pgsql/data......

All of which would be FHS-compliant.

Thoughts?

--
Lamar Owen