Re: let's not complain about harmless patch-apply failures

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: let's not complain about harmless patch-apply failures
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Peter Geoghegan <pg@bowt.ie> writes:
> The parallel CREATE INDEX patch is something that I've worked on
> (fairly inconsistently) for 2 years now. I remember two occasions in
> which somebody else changed a function signature for functions that my
> code called, and without that causing even a compiler warning after
> rebasing on top of these changes (e.g., changing an int argument to a
> bool argument). On both occasions, this led to a real bug in a version
> of the patch that was posted to the list.

FWIW, I think that that represents bad practice in those changes,
precisely because of the hazard it poses for uncommitted patches.
If you're changing a function signature, it's usually not that hard
to make sure that un-updated code will produce a failure or warning,
and you should generally do so IMO.

Сообщение: Re: let's not complain about harmless patch-apply failures
Сообщение: Re: let's not complain about harmless patch-apply failures