Re: Inserting Values into Interval

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Inserting Values into Interval
Дата
Список pgsql-general
BlackMage <dsd7872@uncw.edu> writes:
> I am having a small issue when entering values into the interval field. Say
> I want to enter a time of 2:03, two minutes and 3 seconds. When I insert
> that into an interval field, it comes up at 02:03:00, 2 hours, 3 minutes.
> The only way I've gotten around this so far is by doing 00:02:03. But I was
> wondering if there is another of inserting into an interval field where the
> values will start at the lower end first, so the result will be 00:02:03
> when 2:03 is inserted?

In 8.4 it'll be possible to do that by declaring the interval as MINUTE
TO SECOND, but there's no way around it in existing releases.  I'm not
sure I'd care to rely on that anyway, because any time you provide an
interval value that isn't *immediately* tied to a MINUTE TO SECOND
qualifier, it's going to get interpreted in the more standard way.
I think you'd be happier in the long run if you avoid depending on such
an ambiguous data format.