Re: Migrating from mysql.

От Ron Peterson
Тема Re: Migrating from mysql.
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Jan Wieck wrote:

> Ron Peterson wrote:
>
>     As long as there's someone watching you ;-)

:-)

> > No.  Try a combination of default value and an update rule.  I've
> > included an example below.  There was a discussion on this list recently
> > about when to use rules vs. triggers.  You might want to read the
> > archives about that.  Something I need to review more myself.
>
>     Exactly that. Rules are good for redirecting an entire  query
>     to  another operation (INSERT->UPDATE for example) or to fire
>     additional "global" queries on other tables.

I'm trying to learn more about triggers.  In doing so, I found some
example Server Programming Interface (SPI) functions in /contrib.  Most
germane to this discussion is the 'moddatetime' example, which was
provided by Terry Mackintosh, with help from PostgreSQL's very own Jan
Wieck...

Must be like deja vu all over again.

-Ron-