Re: plperl extensions

От Karl DeBisschop
Тема Re: plperl extensions
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Oliver Elphick wrote:

> Louis-David Mitterrand wrote:
>   >How mature is the plperl language for writing functions and triggers?
>   >
>   >Is it fast? (ie: does the interpreter pre-compiles functions and
>   >persists?)
>   >
>   >I couldn't find any plperl package in the PG-7.0beta5 (the latest)
>   >debian packages, should I roll my own PG to get it?
>
> I can't work out what its status is.  In the source it appears to be
> disabled on the grounds that the core group can't get it to work.  It will
> compile, but I couldn't get it to meet Debian standards.  This Perl stuff
> is so heavily encapsulated that I can't find out where to change things.
>
> --
> Oliver Elphick                                Oliver.Elphick@lfix.co.uk
> Isle of Wight                              http://www.lfix.co.uk/oliver
>                PGP key from public servers; key ID 32B8FAA1
>                  ========================================
>      "I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully
>       made..."       Psalms 139:14

If I remember the conversation correctly, the basic problem is that there
were several platforms on which it would not complile. I remember few if any
comments on it's functionality.  Since it has been disabled throughout the
beta cycle, I would expect it to be less reliable that the released
components.

That being said, it does seem to work on Redhat Linux.  We are not using it
for production work, but if we can test it out and help document any issues
that come up, that's only for the good, right?

I'm curious as to what part of Debian standards it could not meet?  Any
pitfalls I might want to know about?

Karl DeBisschop
www.infoplease.com