Re: Auto-uppercase inserted column

От Jurgen Defurne
Тема Re: Auto-uppercase inserted column
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Bruce Momjian wrote:

> Is there a way to automatically uppercase a column upon insert or
> update?
>
> I don't think rules can do that because of the problem of recursion.
> The only way I think it can be done is using triggers.  Is that correct?

Since triggers are available in postgreSQL, that should be the way, yes.
You have to have access to the NEW values in your trigger, and then you
should say something like
NEW.field := upper(NEW.field) ;

In older database systems this would be done in the entry system, but
then you have a coupling between your application and the database.

Good luck.

Jurgen Defurne
defurnj@glo.be