Re: Queries using the C API

От Martijn van Oosterhout
Тема Re: Queries using the C API
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Marcos Barreto de Castro wrote:
>    My questions are: Is there a skip function in
> Postgresql that I can use to browse through the
> records in a table forwards and backwards (That table
> has 50,000 records)? If not, how would I be able to
> develop
> such a mechanism as the one explained above? Are there
> examples of existing algorithms or even functions,
> libraries of functions fit for the job? Are there
> examples of free software developed using the
> Postgresql C API? If so, where can I find them?

I may be way off base but have you looked into CURSORs?
Apparently they can create a snapshot of the database
and then allow you to browse backwards and forwards
through it (FETCH i beleive).

I currently thinking of using this to solve the problem
I'm having with pg_dump dumping a 400,000 row table and
chewing all of system memory doing it.
--
Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog@cupid.suninternet.com>
http://cupid.suninternet.com/~kleptog/