Re: ODBC configure

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: ODBC configure
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
>> Btw., do you recall what the separate packaging was intended for?

> The separate packaging was intended to address the point that, for some
> apps, the *only* package needed to access a remote Postgres database was
> the ODBC driver itself. So we wanted a way to build and install it
> without requiring any other parts of Postgres to be installed.

I don't have a strong feeling that this is particularly essential for
ODBC alone.  It's been suggested more than once that it might be nice
to be able to build clients without building the server --- but that
would cover libpq, psql, etc, not just the ODBC interface.  (Bruce,
shouldn't there be a TODO item for that?)

It seems clear that the standalone ODBC config is suffering bit-rot,
and that that will be its normal state of existence given that no one
takes care to make it track changes to the top-level configure files.
So I'm in favor of ripping it out.

I would like to see us offer a client-only build procedure someday,
but I don't feel much urgency about it.