Re: Revisited: Transactions, insert unique.

От Ed Loehr
Тема Re: Revisited: Transactions, insert unique.
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Lincoln Yeoh wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Previously I wanted to ensure that I am inserting something unique into a
> table, the answer was to create a unique index on the relevant columns.
>
> But what if I don't want to get an error which would force a rollback? Say
> I want to insert something if it doesn't already exist, but update it if it
> does.

I think the best answer to this is to correct the non-std error-handling to
abort only the current statement and not the entire transaction.  IIRC,
Peter Eisenstraut recently posted a one-line patch to facilitate this,
though I don't know how well it's working for those who tried it.  I have
not seen anything that indicated that the core developers were ready to
adopt this, though recent discussions appeared to be heading that way.

Regards,
Ed Loehr