Re: full-text indexing

От Maarten Boekhold
Тема Re: full-text indexing
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Hi,

I guess that 'original author' would be me....

> > With the original author, testing was fast, but when he loaded all the
> > data, it got very slow.  The problem was that as soon as his data
> > exceeded the buffer cache, performance became terrible.
>
> How much data are we talking here?  How can one get around this buffer
> cache problem?

This is all from head, but if I remember correctly, the main table had about
750.000 rows, of which one varchar(25) field was fti'ed ('full text indexed'
:),
resulting in some 5 million rows in the fti table.

wrt file sizes, I don't really remember. If you're really interested, I can
make another setup to check this (over easter time).

I'm curious: Bruce mentioned buffer cache sizes. What exactly is this buffer
cache
used for? I thought we relied on the OS filesystem caching to cache database
files?
What will increasing buffer caches give me?

Maarten

--

Maarten Boekhold, maarten.boekhold@tibcofinance.com
TIBCO Finance Technology Inc.