[Fwd: Postgres query..]

От Manoj Doshi
Тема [Fwd: Postgres query..]
Дата
Список pgsql-general

--
[ when you have nothing to lose, you have everything to win - read
somewhere ]

hi parvind..
* Yes PostgreSQL is available on NT.
* Regarding limitations u should check out www.postgresql.org. It has
many documents in pdf and tar format.
* Yes, it does support Procedure constructs but IMO.. it still has
problems vis-a-vis Oracle.
* For comparision check out the site.

IMHO.. decision regarding which DB Engine to choose..

well if u have tons of money for project : go for Oracle. Postgresql is
free on all platforms. MySQL is free only on LINUX. MySQL is based on
ISAM files. It has much more limitations comparing it to Postgresql n
that is one reason why its extremely fast. Depending upon the project
requirement u can choose the database. Following can be parameters :

* Money
* Number of transactions.
* Type of transactions ( High Low : Selects/Inserts/Updates/Deletes
etc.. )
* Can u make do without Foreign Key checking or can u implement ur own
FK 'cos its not available in Postgres or Mysql.

* Our experience with PG :
We have been using PG since last 1 year n we have a full fledged
e-commerce product on it. ( www.iequipe.net ).
We are extremely satisified with it.

We are also using MySQL. But that site requirements were different. We
are satisfied with that too.

We are also using Oracle since last 9 years and again we r satisifed.

Soooo.. it purely depends upon ur project n other parameters as given
above as well as add some more n there u have ur decision.

Feel free to send me mail in case u need some more info or help anytime.

btw, I would suggest u that in case u decide to use PG,  use PG on Linux
platform instead of WinNT.

rgds, manoj.

u wrote :
hai,
  parvind from india. actually I come to know that POSTGRESQL database
is
available on windows - nt or not. is there any limitation of database
size
if yes pls tell me the size. is this database support to create
procedure or
function while MYSQL doesn't support.
is this database is also maintaining the redo log file like the Oracle
database. Sir, can you send any document regarding feature of POSTGRESQL
vs
ORACLE . So I am very grate full to you. I am working in CMC Ltd. New
Delhi.
Actually We are interested to use this POSTGRESQL database in some
project.
  pls repond me as soon as possible. I am very gratefull to you.

bye

--
[ when you have nothing to lose, you have everything to win - read
somewhere ]

Вложения