Re: [HACKERS] Re: SQL compliance - why -- comments only at psql level ?

От Hannu Krosing
Тема Re: [HACKERS] Re: SQL compliance - why -- comments only at psql level ?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote:

> Hannu Krosing <hannu@tm.ee> writes:
> > Thomas Lockhart wrote:
> >> ... although InterBase was lauded for SQL92 compliance, the author
> >> did encourage them to consider supporting the SQL92 comment delimiter
> >> ("--") in their next release :))
>
> > Why does PostgreSQL _not_ support the -- comment delimiter ?
>
> Better read it again, Hannu ... wasn't us that was being spoken of ...

I got the impression from the paragraph that followed that we don't

and the first query I tried bounced from commandline

[hannu@hu hannu]$ psql -c "select count(*) from t1 -- what"
ERROR:  parser: parse error at or near "-"

but worked interactively:

[hannu@hu TeleHansaPlus]$ psql
Welcome to the POSTGRESQL interactive sql monitor: Please read the file COPYRIGHT for copyright terms of POSTGRESQL
[PostgreSQL 6.5.2 on i586-pc-linux-gnu, compiled by gcc egcs-2.91.66]
  type \? for help on slash commands  type \q to quit  type \g or terminate with semicolon to execute queryYou are
currentlyconnected to the database: hannu

hannu=> select count(*) from t1 -- what
hannu-> ;
count
-----   3
(1 row)

and failed also when used from python

[hannu@hu TeleHansaPlus]$ python
Python 1.5.2 (#1, Apr 18 1999, 16:03:16)  [GCC pgcc-2.91.60 19981201
(egcs-1.1.1  on linux2
>>> import pg
>>> con=pg.connect('hannu')
>>> con.query("select count(*) from t1 -- what")
Traceback (innermost last): File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
pg.error: ERROR:  parser: parse error at or near "-"

So assumed it was handled in psql when in interactive mode.

Hannu