Re: [HACKERS] Release on the 15th?

От Lamar Owen
Тема Re: [HACKERS] Release on the 15th?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Thomas Lockhart wrote:

> > Are we still 'go' for a beta release the 15th?

> Uh, it's never been a good idea to set your watch by our beta release
> schedule.

I have found that out, acutally, with the three minors to 6.5.

> In fact, for purposes of RPM building, I'd suggest lagging
> even up to a day or two to see if some immediate problems crop up and
> are fixed.

Well, having been on the other side of the fence, so to speak, WRT the
RPM's, I may be overreacting a little.  I was always aggravated and
annoyed by the long lag (up to six months prior to 6.5) between a
PostgreSQL release and an RPM for me to bang on.  While I could very
well have pulled the source tarball and gone through a conversion from
an RPM installation to a tarball installation, I was not too enamored of
that approach, just to have to move the other way at RedHat-upgrade
time.

So, I got involved in the RPM building process primarily so that RPM
PostgreSQL users that want to beta test (if I was interested in doing
so, I know there were and are more) can have a timely beta to test.
Maybe I'm a little too zealous in this regards....

However, even the packaging itself this go around is beta.  I will want
to have RPM's out there being tested long before a final 7.0 release.
Plus, since I am building on RedHat for the RPM's, I catch build-time
bugs for that OS early.

But, if you feel I should lag a couple of days, I can do that.

--
Lamar Owen
WGCR Internet Radio