Re: [HACKERS] follow-up on PC Week Labs benchmark results

От Thomas Lockhart
Тема Re: [HACKERS] follow-up on PC Week Labs benchmark results
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> create view doesn't allow column aliases in the view definition: e.g.
> create view myview (a,b,c) as select x,y,z ... doesn't work, but create
> view myview select x as a, y as b, z as c ... works.

Thanks for the heads up. We've never run into it before (and have not
had any requests for it), but will look at implementing it.

> ... PC Week never benchmarks non-production, non-released code...
> ... this story was driven by the news of
> InterBase going open source.

Hmm. InterBase going open source seems to be a pre-alpha vaporware
feature so far ;)

> In particular, I'd like to compare IB 6 with PG 7.x and MySQL later this
> year (I didn't benchmark MySQL this time because I ran out of time, but
> would very much like to.)

Great. We'll look forward to it. Also, it will be interesting to see
the relative performance and feature improvements over time; Postgres
has been living on "Internet time" for the last three or four years,
and I'll be suprised if other "Open Source" DBs can keep up.

> In addition, I have a) extended the query set quite a bit to cover much
> more of the SQL92 entry/intermediate level spec, and b) added query log
> tables and consistency check queries to do some testing of proper ACID
> properties.

You had inquired earlier about "when we would support complete SQL92"
(give or take a few words). What areas of entry level SQL92 are we
missing in your opinion (or should we wait for the article)?

btw, I've been amused and gratified by PC Week's obvious shift from
Open Source FUD generator to covering Open Source with a more even
hand. It's been months since the last time John Dodge referred to
"linux fanatics" with obvious scorn, and it is nice to see that y'all
are starting to get the point.

Regards.
                    - Thomas

South Pasadena, California