Re: [HACKERS] pg_ctl man page

От Thomas Lockhart
Тема Re: [HACKERS] pg_ctl man page
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> I have written a man page for pg_ctl. I will appreciate if someone
> would give me comments on it including grammatical corrections.

I assume that this is intended for the main documentation set? Then
I'll be happy to convert this to sgml markup if you haven't done so or
do not know how. Also, I can make small changes to grammar etc at that
time.

You probably weren't asking about this, but...

The switch options "smart", "fast", and "immediate" are imho a bit too
general. I would suggest that "wait", "stop", and "abort" (or
something similar) might be better and more direct terms which would
come to mind for an admin. Though I see that you also have the concept
of "wait" wrt pg_ctl and the postmaster, to allow pg_ctl to return
immediately before the effects of the commands are seen. So maybe
"asychronous" or something similar could be applied to the
pg_ctl/postmaster relationship, leaving the other terms for the
pg_ctl/client relationship.

I would also suggest dropping "-m <opt>" style switches in favor of
specific flags, with the last flag specified taking precedence. I'm
not aware of other utilities having quite that same style.
                     - Thomas

South Pasadena, California