Re: [HACKERS] Re: ORDBMS

От Chris Bitmead
Тема Re: [HACKERS] Re: ORDBMS
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
The Hermit Hacker wrote:

> Not quite an answer to your question, but my guess is that 'address
> ADDRESS' would contain a pointer (OID) to the address table ... so the
> person table would be realtively small in comparison to the address table

I'm 99% sure that this is not the case. Rather the address is embedded
inside
the person object. I think this is basicly what Oracle has done with 8i
too.
I think then if you do SELECT * from person it flattens out all the
fields.
(This might even still work).

Not that the idea of relating to oid as another feature is bad. My last
message I gave the example of how postquel could do this. I think
that design had the advantage that you could construct 1:M relationships
this way too.

Just a trade off a bit like in C++
class Person {Address address;
}