Re: [HACKERS] Well, then you keep your darn columns

От Hannu Krosing
Тема Re: [HACKERS] Well, then you keep your darn columns
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Bruce Momjian wrote:

> > OTOH, we could provide SQL92 ways for getting the info that current user
> > apps get by querying pg_attribute.
> >
> > IIRC it requires a bunch of views on system tables, some of which could be
> > lifted straight from psql's \d* commands.
>
> If this is going to require any significant backend baggage, I say drop
> it.  Things are complicated enough.  I did temp tables in one file so we
> would not have "I am a temp" and "I am not a temp" floating all over the
> backend.  I don't really want "I am not an attribute" around either.

Possible valid complain true for hidden attributes.

But the ANSI/ISO system table views gould probably done even as a add-on
package that just creates the views - with nothing in backend.

And promoting them as the default way for finding out about schema would free
us
from concerns about user-level apps when we need to change internal system
table
structures.

It could at least be added to TODO for 7.x

Hannu