Re: [HACKERS] Well, then you keep your darn columns

От Ed Loehr
Тема Re: [HACKERS] Well, then you keep your darn columns
Дата
Re: [HACKERS] Well, then you keep your darn columns  (Don Baccus <dhogaza@pacifier.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote:

> Let's see: DROP COLUMN would have to mark the column invisible, remove
> any associated constraints (particularly NOT NULL) and indexes, and
> it'd be done.  The parser would then have to ignore the column when
> doing column name lookups or expansion of '*', and it would have to
> insert a NULL value for the column when transforming INSERT or UPDATE.
> And that'd be just about it.  I like it.

How would you handle multi-column indices that included the column
being dropped?  E.g.,
create unique index foobar on mytable(foo,bar);

where the 'bar' column is then dropped...

Dropping all of that index would seem to be problematic.

Cheers,
Ed Loehr

Сообщение: Re: [HACKERS] Some notes on optimizer cost estimates
Сообщение: Re: [HACKERS] Some notes on optimizer cost estimates