Re: [HACKERS] Uninstalling PostgreSQL ??!!

От Lamar Owen
Тема Re: [HACKERS] Uninstalling PostgreSQL ??!!
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Jeff MacDonald wrote:
> The PostgreSQL project is willing to support any os it
> can. We have Redhat RPMS on our site, because someone
> (Lamar Owen) took the time to do it, then submitted them.

Thanks, Jeff.

> You may do the same. Ideally we'd like to have a package/bin
> for each os.

If anyone wants to pick up RPM's for SuSE or Caldera (or any other
RPM-based distribution), I'll be perfectly happy to help them get
started.

I would like any other RPM's to be as close as possible to the RedHat
ones to simplify support, but that's not absolutely necessary.  I'll
also offer any of the spec file stuff and upgrading scripts to them to
expedite their efforts -- after all, I was able to take Oliver's Debian
upgrade scripts and modify them to work very nicely under RedHat without
a great deal of effort (once I understood them, that is).

The documentation of the packaging differences in the various
distributions would be very helpful to have on the PostgreSQL site --
I've put the RPM readme on the ftp site under bindist/RPM  (Jeff, if
SuSE and Caldera folks get this running, we might want to rename the
bindist/RPM dir to bindist/RedHat, as those RPM's and that documentation
is pretty RedHat-specific), and I'd like to see the Debian documentation
(simple docs -- where is PGDATA, what is the name and parameters of the
startup script, etc) placed on the PostgreSQL site as well -- Oliver has
already mentioned that the standard download site for the Debian
packages is the Debian distribution's site, so ftp.postgresql.org may
not need the .deb's online.  Just a thought.

Of course, those are just the Linux packages.  There are many other
systems that have package managers for which it would be useful to have
prebuilt binaries available for download.

I am bothered more than a little of the thought that the RPM-based linux
distributions are so different that a single RPM set can't work with all
of them equally well.  Of course, that can happen under open source --
the distributors are certainly free to do it their own way.

--
Lamar Owen
WGCR Internet Radio