Re: [HACKERS] [hackers]development suggestion needed

От Mike Mascari
Тема Re: [HACKERS] [hackers]development suggestion needed
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Bruce Momjian wrote:

> > Oracle tables and indices within a single tablespace all live in
> > one file (if you're using filesystem rather than raw I/O), so
> > they also provide features which allow you to specify how big
> > a chunk to allocate per extent (Oracle pre-allocates to avoid
> > running out of disk space while you're running except in ways
> > that you control, and in hopes of getting contiguous chunks of
> > disk storage because they hope you're using previously empty
> > disks used only for Oracle).
>
> And with data and index in the same file, you can't split them across
> spindles.

But you can certainly do that in ORACLE, if you wish. In fact,
ORACLE recommends it:

Place Data Files for Maximum Performance

Tablespace location is determined by the physical location of the
data files that constitute that tablespace. Use the hardware
resources of your computer appropriately.

For example, if several disk drives are available to store the
database, it might be helpful to store table data in a tablespace
on one disk drive, and index data in a tablespace on another disk
drive. This way, when users query table information, both disk
drives can work simultaneously, retrieving table and index data
at the same time.

Mike Mascari