Re: Identity columns should own only one sequence

От Laurenz Albe
Тема Re: Identity columns should own only one sequence
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Sat, 2019-04-27 at 14:16 +0200, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> On 2019-04-26 15:37, Laurenz Albe wrote:
> > What do you think of the patch I just posted on this thread to
> > remove ownership automatically when the default is dropped, as Michael
> > suggested?  I think that would make things much more intuitive from
> > the user's perspective.
>
> I think that adds more nonstandard behavior on top of an already
> confusing and obsolescent feature, so I can't get too excited about it.
>
> A more forward-looking fix would be your other idea of having
> getOwnedSequence() only deal with identity sequences (not serial
> sequences).  See attached patch for a draft.

That looks good to me.

I agree that slapping on black magic that appropriates a pre-existing
owned sequence seems out of proportion.

I still think thatthat there is merit to Michael's idea of removing
sequence "ownership" (which is just a dependency) when the DEFAULT
on the column is dropped, but this approach is possibly cleaner.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe

Сообщение: Re: Race conditions with checkpointer and shutdown
Сообщение: Re: Race conditions with checkpointer and shutdown