Re: [HACKERS] Inprise/Borland releasing Interbase as Open source

От Hannu Krosing
Тема Re: [HACKERS] Inprise/Borland releasing Interbase as Open source
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Stephen Birch wrote:

> I wish this announcement had been made a few months ago!! We have several
> developers porting our server software to PostgreSQL.  Although we like
> PostgreSQL, we have run into a number of memory leaks and bugs - something
> we never encountered with Interbase.
>
> Now Interbase is going open source, we will discontinue the PostgreSQL
> development effort.  Interbase is such a well written DBMS, it doesn't make
> sense to continue.

The announcement said that IB version 6 _beta_ is going to be open source,
without specifying what kind of license it will have.

It could very well be something like SCL (i.e. you can have the source, but
what you can do with it is quite limited). If you just need a
beer-kind-of-free
database, you may be better off with using Sybase or IB v.4

I suspect that the move to open-source it is at least partly an effort to
fix "a number of memory leaks and bugs" ;)

Hannu

Сообщение: Re: [HACKERS] Inprise/Borland releasing Interbase as Open source
Сообщение: Re: [HACKERS] Inprise/Borland releasing Interbase as Open source