Re: [HACKERS] Raising funds for PostgreSQL

От Kyle Bateman
Тема Re: [HACKERS] Raising funds for PostgreSQL
Дата
Re: [HACKERS] Raising funds for PostgreSQL  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
Re: [HACKERS] Raising funds for PostgreSQL  (The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@hub.org>)
Список pgsql-hackers
The Hermit Hacker wrote:

> Hi Kyle...
>
>         Jeff is currently in the process of redoing the web site, and
> we're going to be working this 'bidding' system into the new site, but its
> going to take a litlte bit of time, since he would like to get it right
> and not have to do it again :)
>
>         Keep an eye on the sight and expect *a variant* on what you
> proposed to be in place around the first of the new year...but it will be
> implemented...

Sounds good.  I hope my input will prove helpful.

BTW, you don't have to wait for the web site to be working right to get me involved
(although I think that might help others to get more involved).

If you're interested in getting some money to help out with development now, this is
the list of things I have been hoping for.  I'm sure my modest contribution alone is
not enough to justify the work they will take, but its probably better than a kick in
the butt.

  - Allow a view of a union
  - Get rid of size restrictions on tuples (8K?)
  - Get rid of size restrictions on queries (16K)
  - Make sequences roll back on abort (at least optionally)
  - Resident functions that can execute with super-privileges
    This would mean that a PL function could execute as the user who created
    it (or perhaps some other user the database creater might specify).  This
    would allow certain information to come from a table that the calling user
    might not normally have access to (without having access to the whole table).
  - Support for outer (and other kinds of) joins
  - Column based permissions (I don't know if there are SQL standards for this)
  - Support for passwords in the TCL interface (is it there now?)
  - Could a subquery be included in the target list of a query
    select a,(select b from c) from d where e = f;
    (Not sure if this one is even standard SQL.)
  - Support for "alter table drop column"

Maybe some of the things have been done already.  Some have not.  The items are
roughly prioritized for our needs here at ATI.

If I knew that certain of these could be accomplished and for how much, that would
really help me move forward.

Вложения