Flexability.

От Jason
Тема Flexability.
Дата
Список pgsql-general
hi,

With respect to the thread about is Pg ready for prime time.  It
obviously is.  All of the DBs have there place.  We at work started with
Access, and now need to move to SQL Server (postgres if I can convince
them); just because the company needs a quick fix and will have no DBA
once I'm done.  Maybe in a year or two they will go for Sybase or
Oracle.  Who knows.  Anyway, my real point was, Oracle is the most
flexible DB out there.  But that flexibility is expensive and a little
too much for a small to mid sized company.  Even for a large company
that does not deal in 'information' it's not worth it.  But when
information becomes a commodity, you absolutely need the power of a
robust database, and need DBAs to run it.  Then the cost of the DB and
the people are well worth it.  If you don't need Oracle there is no need
to spend the money for it, + the salary for an Oracle DBA.  And here is
where Pg fits in.

Postgres is definitely lacking in the doc department.  My only comment
to that is, perhaps some of you who have been using it for ages and ages
should get together and write an intermediate book to complement the
book that is on the way.  Maybe sell it to O'Reilly.

Anyway. Pg is an fantastic db in my opinion.

......... Jason C. Leach
...... University College of the Cariboo
... jcl@mail.ocis.net
.. http://www.ocis.net/~jcl
.

The Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence from Home:
http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu

Сообщение: Re: [GENERAL] Re: Is PostgreSQL ready for mission criticalapplications?
Сообщение: Re: [GENERAL] Re: Is PostgreSQL ready for ...