Is PostgreSQL ready for mission critical applications?

От Stephen Birch
Тема Is PostgreSQL ready for mission critical applications?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Question: Is PostgreSQL ready for mission critical applications?

This has to be a FAQ, but I cannot seem to get a good answer.

I have just returned from a very interesting Comdex where I spend a few
hours in the Linux area asking for opinions on this issue.

Most people were unsure and suggested that MySQL has a great reputation
for stability and may be a better choice.  Since I want transaction
support, MySQL is not an option for me.  In fact, I really wanted the
DBMS to support referential integrity as well, PostgreSQL doesn't  :-(

Several people reminded me that MySQL is faster than PostgreSQL.
However,  performance is far less important to me than the basic
question of stability.   The database must be stable enough to run
almost 24x7 and must never suffer from data corruption or from
mysterious crashes.

Is anyone out there actually using PostgreSQL for a mission critical
application?

Is PostgreSQL ready for prime time?

Help!

PS Many thanks to the MySQL advocate at the KDE stand who provided a
compelling argument that my
particular application did not need transactions.  Further thought
convinced me that they are a requirement.
Sorry I didn't get your name - yours was an insightful discussion.

Also, thanks to Michele Webster at the Applix booth for a  lively
discussion regarding this issue and for the suggestion that I post the
question at the PostgreSQL site.