query seems too slow

От Timothy H. Keitt
Тема query seems too slow
Дата
Список pgsql-general
I'm trying to join two tables, one with > 3M rows and another with a few
thousand rows, and store the output in a new table.  "EXPLAIN" gives the
following output:

keitt=> explain select tenstop.* into tmp from tenstop, history where
tenstop.route_id = history.route_id and tenstop.year = history.year and
history.run_type = 1;
NOTICE:  QUERY PLAN:

Nested Loop  (cost=6.15 rows=1 width=56)
  ->  Index Scan using history_run_type_index on history  (cost=2.05
rows=2 width=8)
  ->  Index Scan using tenstop_year_index on tenstop  (cost=2.05
rows=3316684 width=48)

EXPLAIN
keitt=>

I fired this off yesterday and it was still not finished this morning
after 12+ hours.  Should I be suprised?  How long should a query like
this take?  (This is on a PII 450 w/ 256M ram.)

Tim

--
Timothy H. Keitt
National Center for Ecological Analysis and Synthesis